Monday 13 July 2015

Review: The art of being normal, by Lisa Williamson


So, I wanted to start my reviews off with this one as it is a book that came out this year, and I really support the awareness it is promoting.  I have read very few LGBTQ books, (unless Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Gray count, which, you know what, they definitely should) so in terms of comparing it to others like it I'm probably not going to be very useful. But, it is in itself a great book, so I can at least tell you that much.

 The art of being normal is about being transgender, and it is a dual narrative set in the modern day. The two narrators David and Leo are both fourteen and go to the same school. The plot unfolds delicately, and we learn more about these two characters, their families, their past and their futures. They are the sort of characters you get attached to, and by the end of the novel I didn't want to leave them. They came alive, and I think that is always the sign of a good book.

I must say, it is not an action packed novel, but that is a critique on the genre and not on the book itself - the fact I still like it despite of this means it must be pretty good. You see, this book still picks you up and takes you on a journey, even if it is not a conventional one. It might not be the stereotypical page turner I most favour, but I found myself sucked in just the same, and then I couldn't put it down.  I am not transgender, but the beauty is you don't need to be - it puts you into the shoes of someone who IS transgender, so you can feel the pain, the restriction and also the freedom that comes with their self discovery. It is an emotional novel, one which will leave you wanting to fix the society around you, but also smiling in hope of the shining equality we are starting to see.

It is a book about unique friendships, family ties, love and fear - it shows how imperfections, differences and bad circumstances interwoven with good intent and resilience can still lead to happiness if this is what is most desired. It leaves the reader on an open ended cliff hanger, which I think shows almost how the story cannot be continued, because the future of all the characters depends on the current reactions of the society around them. As it is set in the modern day, it is like we have come up to speed - as they progress, we progress, so what happens to them next will be heavily effected by the way society and acceptance evolves. In a way, Williamson has almost left her characters to the fate of humanity.

So, all in all, I've never quite read a book like it, and I respect Williamson so much with her #whatisnormal campaign. With shows like Orange is the new black, and the revelation of Caitlyn Jenner, I think society is definitely starting to move in the right direction regarding its acceptance of transgender people, but we still have quite a long way to go yet. This book sets the bar regarding novels exploring issues of this kind, and really gets you to think of things from their point of view.  I would recommend this book to anyone, especially if you are outside the LGBTQ spectrum - you will love it too, I promise!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view ... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." - Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird 

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds so interesting, I need to give this a read. Ps, I completely agree that both Dracula and The Picture of Dorian Grey should be classed as a LGBTQ :) hahaa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend you do- glad I painted it in the positive light it deserves! And haha, thanks, definitely! Victorian LGBTQ! x

      Delete